Tuesday 27 May 2008

The Choctaw County McCains

Leslie Gordon McCain with his son, myself, Barry Reid McCain. My Dad has that 'McCain' look to him. He is a WW II veteran and served in the Pacific theatre and worked for many years for the United Gas Pipe Line company. We are all native Mississippians, but my Dad's job took us to northern Lousiana, so I actually grew up in there, but spent a lot of time on my grandfathers' farms in Mississippi.





Here a photo of Leslie Gordon McCain's father, Leslie Harris McCain, with his mother, sister and niece picking cotton circa 1905/1910. They lived just east of Carrollton MS in what is now Montgomery, County. I call this family the Choctaw County McCains, because when they settled in Mississippi in the 1830s they lived first in Choctaw County. Choctaw County was divided in the late 1800s with new counties being created and this group had families in Carroll, Webster, and Montgomery Counties. The Choctaw McCains are cousins to the Teoc McCains, both families came into Mississippi as the Choctaw Indian lands were opened to settlement.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

My grandmother was from Carrollton, MS. Her name was Ethel Lee McCain. Her sister was Grace. I would love any information you could provide about my family. My grandmother married James Walter Sellars in Carrollton, MS. If you have any information about my family I would be most grateful! Brenda Sellars